Current Law

Persons are eligible to receive their original birth certificate under the new law if they meet the following criteria:

  • Born and adopted in Connecticut.
  • Is 18 or older on or after July 1, 2015
  • Adoption was finalized on or after October 1, 1983

Pursuant to the law, persons are also entitled to receive a Contact Preference Form and Medical History Form, if they have been filed by his/her biological parents with the Department of Children and Families.

Persons must file an application and pay a fee to the Department of Public Health in Hartford to receive his/her original birth certificate.  The Application Form to obtain an Original Birth Certificate can be obtained from the Department of Public Health.

If a person was adopted prior to October 1, 1983 they may file this Petition with Probate Court to order the Department of Public Health to release his/her original birth certificate. The court will only order release under certain circumstances, including when each birth parent named in the birth certificate has consented, is deceased, or other limited circumstances.

Any adult person adopted in Connecticut, regardless of the date of adoption, has the right to obtain “non-identifying information” from the adoption agency which handled their adoption. Upon request, the agency must also conduct a search to locate the birth parent(s) and obtain their consent for disclosure of their identity to the adult adoptee. If the birth parent(s) is deceased, the adoptee is entitled to receive identifying information. Conn. Gen. Stat. Section 45a-753(e).

When death of a biological parent has been determined, Connecticut adoption agencies and the Department of Children and Families routinely release this information to an adult adoptee without a court order.

Adoptees who do not know which adoption agency handled their placement may contact the Department of Children and Families (DCF) at (860) 550-6319. DCF maintains an index of all adoption placements and will be able to provide this information. Further information and details are available at the website of the Department of Children and Families.